ACCE’s Information Office (IO) is pleased to announce a new addition to its toolkit library: The Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Toolkit (ACCE log in and password required to access toolkit) .
When disasters strike, chamber executives have no playbook to follow. But now, with the Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Toolkit, chamber professionals can take steps to prepare for emergencies and learn whom to turn to and what to expect. The toolkit is a collection of:
- Articles written by experts in disaster management
- Tips and lessons learned by chamber executives who experienced disasters in their own communities
- Worksheets to help start and guide your own disaster planning efforts
- More than a dozen crisis communications, disaster preparedness and recovery plan samples provided by fellow ACCE-member chambers
- Numerous resources designed to help you prepare for oncoming disasters and connect you with the information you need to speed your community’s recovery.
The toolkit was prepared by ACCE as a project of ACCE’s Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Task Force.
After experiencing an EF-5 tornado which tore a 14-mile swath through Joplin, Mo., and the neighboring community of Duquesne in May 2011, Tonya Sprenkle, vice president of the Joplin Area (Mo.) Chamber of Commerce, values the importance of disaster preparedness. “Being prepared for whatever comes your way is very important to me. Having gone through the 16 months in Joplin has been quite an experience and we are happy to share what we have learned and experienced here, good and bad,” she said.
Among the toolkit’s many samples, it features links to several of the Joplin Chamber’s disaster-related documents, including a PowerPoint presentation on communication strategies in the tornado’s aftermath as well as the chamber’s very thorough Disaster Preparedness and Business Contingency Plan.
ACCE members may download the Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Toolkit at no charge via ACCE’s Information Office (ACCE log in and password required to access toolkit).
To access the Information Office (“IO”), click on the "Info Office" button on the main navigation bar of the www.acce.org homepage. The IO features links and original documents from trusted sources that will assist chamber professionals in their everyday work:
- Click through Chamberpedia to find links by category.
- Get immediate answers with FAQs or Ask ACCE.
- Search a library of 1,300 sample documents.
- Download toolkits on a variety of topics.
- Benchmark your chamber’s operations.
To view a demo of the IO site and its many features, click here.