Diversity and InclusionInclusive regions prosper. According to a new ACCE commissioned report, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION FOR THE 21ST CENTURY ECONOMY: An Imperative for Chambers of Commerce (Feb. 2017), cities and regions that embrace diversity do better economically. The report outlines the business case for why chambers need a strategy to leverage diversity and champion inclusion.
ACCE adopted a Diversity and Inclusion Commitment Statement: "For the betterment of the association, chamber leaders and the communities they serve, ACCE will champion access and equity of opportunity through intentional inclusion of all." (Unanimously adopted by ACCE's Board of Directors, October 2015) See additional examples of chamber Diversity Statements. Learn more about ACCE's Diversity and Inclusion Division.
What is Diversity & Inclusion?For businesses and chambers, diversity can represent:
- building an inclusive culture and environment where diversity is both embraced and leveraged as a competitive advantage,
- developing and retaining talent by encouraging personal growth and celebrating individual and cultural differences, and
- using the power of the mix -- strength that results from a team with varied experiences, backgrounds and styles -- to succeed.
Diversity and Inclusion Topics
- Diversity in the Marketplace
- Diversity and Inclusion Events
- LGBT Policy Issues
- Minority Business Development Programs
- Promoting Diversity and Inclusion
- Women in Chambers
- Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Diversity
- See all examples of Diversity & Inclusion in ACCE's Samples Library
- Embracing the Challenge: The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Imperative for Chambers of Commerce - by Chris Benner, Ph.D., U.C. Santa Cruz and Manuel Pastor, Ph.D., University of Southern California, Chamber Executive magazine (Winter 2017)
- Reshaping Tulsa’s Mosaic - by Hannah Nequist, Chamber Executive magazine (Fall 2016)
- Population Shift - by Mick Fleming, Chamber Executive magazine (Spring 2015). See more on this topic in the Horizon Initiative: Chambers 2025.
- Inclusion Makes Economic Sense - by Doug Minter, Chamber Executive magazine (Spring 2014)
- A Business Accelerator Focused on Economic Development - by Lance Barry, Chamber Executive magazine (Winter 2014)
- Most Inclusive Business Community in the Country - How the Charlotte Chamber is working to increase the success of minority-owned businesses, from the ACCE Blog (August 31, 2011)
- E Pluribus Unum: How Diversity Fosters Economic Success - article by J. Mac Holladay, CCE - Chamber Executive magazine (Fall 2010)
- Maintain a Competitive Edge Through Diversity - Chairman’s column by Casey Steinbacher, CCE - Chamber Executive magazine (Fall 2010)
- Quickpoll on Diversity Initiatives at Chambers
- Diversity in Action: A BoardSource Toolkit - Free download from BoardSource with tools designed to help your board increase its diversity and adopt the inclusive policies and practices that will create the culture needed to sustain your organization's commitment to diversity.
- Diversity Toolkit: The Milwaukee Region's Workplace Diversity Best Practices Library - This toolkit contains actual workplace diversity handbooks, policies, and other management tools used by Milwaukee's top businesses.
Board Diversity Surveys
- Board Diversity Survey - Board Diversity and Training Project
- Governing Board Diversity Survey - California Department of Insurance
- Diversity and Inclusion Survey - Connecticut Board of Advancing Women in Transportation
Other Diversity Resources
- Diverse By Design - Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber (OH) - The Diverse by Design report, first published in 2012, sets the bar on the degree of diversity and inclusion in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky and looks at the issues through a business lens.
- Diversity and Inclusion Index for Associations - Online diagnostic tool for 501(c) 6 and 501(c) 3 membership organizations seeking to measure and improve the management of their current D+I philosophies, policies, and practices from the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).
- DiversityInc: The Magazine of Diversity Management - DiversityInc’s mission is to bring education and clarity to the business benefits of diversity.
- Dr. Mel Gravely, The Institute for Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Minority Business Development Agency an agency of the US Department of Commerce
- National Business Disability Council at The Viscardi Center - An employer organization and comprehensive resource for disability best practices.
- United States Business Leadership Network - A national non-profit that helps business drive performance by leveraging disability inclusion in the workplace, supply chain, and marketplace.
- If Your Board Looked Like Your Community - by Josephine Ramirez, James Irvine Foundation (June 15, 2016)
- Study Shows Diversity, Experience at Odds on Fortune 500 Boards - by Ernie Smith, Associations Now (May 18, 2016)
- Philanthropy and Inclusivity: A Longstanding Problem That Must Be Treated as Urgent - by Vikki N. Spruill and Diana Campoamor, Nonprofit Quarterly (April 7, 2016)
- Speed Museum Turns to a Spreadsheet to Increase Diversity - by Ted Loos, New York Times (March 15, 2016). The Speed Museum in KY has implemented a matrix system for improved board member diversification.
- Eyeing inclusion, Major League Baseball Teams with LGBT Chamber - by Ernie Smith, Associations Now (March 11, 2016)
Convention & Seminar Resources
- D&I and Economic/Community Development Track Pack (6 Sessions). Captured live from the 2016 ACCE Annual Convention in Savannah. Duration: 5 hours, 50 minutes. Cost: $49.00 for 1 year of unlimited access for all your chamber staff. Sessions include:
- Tulsa Mosaic: How One Chamber Transformed Its Minority Business Council | Handout (free)
- Reframing Your Pitch for Diverse Audiences
- The Six Biggest Mistakes in Economic Development Marketing
- Tapping the Global Marketplace | Presentation slides (free)
- Corporate Expansion Explained
- Attracting and Keeping Millennial Talent
- Inclusive Growth: Policy, Programs, and Progress - Presentation handout from J. Mac Holladay, CCE, PCED, LM, HLM, CEO, Market Street Services; Bob Morgan, CCE, President & CEO, Charlotte Chamber; Courtney Ross, Chief Economic Development Officer, Nashville Area Chamber. From the 2016 ACCE Annual Convention.
- The Changing Face of America - Presentation handout from William H. Frey, Ph.D., Demographer and Sr. Fellow, Brookings Institution, from the 2015 ACCE Annual Convention
- Inclusion Beyond Race - Presentation by Sonya Hughes, Vice President of Inclusion, Grand Rapids Area Chamber, from the 2015 ACCE Annual Convention
- The Inclusion Imperative - Presentation by Melvin Gravely, Ph.D., President & CEO, TriVersity Construction Company, from the ACCE 2014 Annual Convention
- Growing Diverse Businesses - Presentation by Crystal German, Vice President, Economic Inclusion, Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber and Nika White, Vice President, Diversity & Inclusion, Greenville Chamber of Commerce, from the ACCE 2014 Annual Convention
- Cultivating Diverse Leaders - Presentation by Harold Boone Sr., M.Ed., Vice President, Minority Business Development, Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce; Sonya Hughes, Vice President, Inclusion & Community Leadership, Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce; and Valerie Patton, Vice President, Economic Inclusion, St. Louis Regional Chamber, from the ACCE 2014 Annual Convention
- The Diverse Board - Presentation by John H. Eaves, Ph.D., Chairman, Fulton County Commission from the 2012 ACCE Convention
- Just Growth: Inclusion and Prosperity in America’s Metropolitan Regions - Presentation by Professor Chris Benner, University of California, Davis from the 2012 ACCE Convention
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
Chamberpedia Home | Diversity and Inclusion
Last Updated: 2/15/2017
Rate this Page rating of 3 from 2 votes
We want your input! If you have links to add, changes to make, or comments about this page, please email email@example.com.