Governance and LeadershipGood governance is vital to successful chamber management and runs broadly from bylaws and board management to diversity and regional leadership. Behind every successful Chamber Executive is an engaged and empowering Board of Directors. It is the paradoxical role of many chamber executives to help drive this empowerment and engagement while at the same time respecting the nature of the board’s governance responsibilities and their volunteer status.
Governance is the legal authority of a board to establish policies that will affect the life and work of the organization while holding the board accountable for the outcome of such decisions
Source: BoardSource’s Board Glossary.
Specific Governance and Leadership Topics
- Alliances and Partnerships
- Board Composition and Responsibilities
- Board Management and Conflict
- Board Meetings and Retreats
- Board Member and CEO Relationships
- Chamber Foundations
- Disclosing Government Relations Expenditure
- Fiduciary Responsibility
- Future of Chambers
- Hiring and Assessing
- Legal Matters
- Strategic Planning
- Succession Planning
- Volunteer Management
- All Governance & Leadership Samples from ACCE Samples Library
- An Executive's Guide to Running a Chamber of Commerce from the Wyoming Chamber Partnership
- Board Chair and Board Member Best Practice Packet from the Nonprofit Alliance
- BoardSource and BoardSource Nonprofit Governance Index 2012
- Bob Harris: the Non-Profit Center - resources, training, tips, and tools for non-profit governance and leadership
- Governance sample documents from chambers accredited by the US Chamber
Convention & Seminar Resources
- Advocacy Track Pack (5 Sessions) from the 2013 ACCE Annual Convention, available for purchase through the ACCE Store, includes tracks on:
- Want to Start a PAC?
- Results First
- K-12 Education: Standards and Assessments
- Master Class: Driving the Bus-Your Role in Your Region's Education & Workforce Efforts
- Two Degrees of Separation: Connecting Your Chamber to the World
- "Deathbed Confessions," keynote speech by Mick Fleming, from ACCE 2012 Annual Convention (free)
- "Innovative Board Structures," presentation by Casey Steinbacher of the Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce, from ACCE 2013 Annual Convention (free)
- Operations Leadership Track Pack (6 sessions) from the 2013 ACCE Annual Convention, available for purchase through the ACCE Store, includes tracks on:
- Innovative Board Structure
- Beyond Obamacare
- Aligning Around Your Strategic Plan
- Talent War 2.0: Transition Planning
- Great Place to Work: Chambers!
- Executive Law & Compliance
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
- Two e-Courses beneficial for CEOs and Boards, and available for purchase through the ACCE Store, are:
- Chamber 101: Introducing the Work of Chambers of Commerce - An eight-part series and flexible training tool designed to work in tandem with chamber staff and board orientation programming.
- Hit the Ground Running: the President's First 100 Days - A 45-minute course offering a step-by-step guide for what to consider before taking the helm at a chamber.
- Attracting & Keeping Great Talent - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Ambassador Management - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Building an Effective Mentor Relationship - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Determining Your Chamber's Value - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Effective Sales Management - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- History of Chambers & Modern Challenges - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Managing & Motivating the Next Generation - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Mega Trends for Chambers in the Next Economy - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Non-Monetary Incentives for Employees - ACCE University Webinar (free)
- Regional Leadership - ACCE University Webinar (free)
Chamberpedia Home | Governance and Leadership
Last Updated: 6/04/2015
We want your input! If you have links to add, changes to make, or comments about this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or simply edit the page yourself.