RegionalismRegionalism addresses issues which cross boundaries of jurisdiction, sector, and discipline to address complex regional issues such as sprawl, equity, education, and economic development. Regional stewards are leaders who are committed to the long-term well-being of places. They see the connection between economic, environmental, and social concerns and they know how to “connect the dots” to create opportunities for their regions. Regional stewards combine 360 degree vision with the ability to mobilize diverse coalitions for action.
Learn more about ACCE's Regional Strategies Division and ACCE's Alliance for Regional Stewardship (ARS).
Specific Topics and Projects for Regionalism
- Collective Impact for Education and Workforce Development
- Community Development
- Environmental Sustainability
- Regional Branding
- Regional Leadership
- Regional Strategy
- Alliance for Regional Stewardship (ARS) Monographs - For over a decade, ARS regularly published monographs on topics of interest to regional stewards, such as community decision-making, leadership development, regional governance, and more. The entire series of monographs is available for download free to ACCE members.
- View all Regional Action Project examples in ACCE's Samples Library
- View all Regional Economic Development examples in ACCE's Samples Library
- View all Regionalism examples in ACCE's Samples Library
Additional ACCE Resources
- General Resources on Regionalism - ACCE webpage containing links to general Regionalism resources.
- The Ford Foundation Fellowship for Regional Sustainable Development (RSD) - With the generous support of the Ford Foundation, the Regional Sustainable Development Fellowship quickly became one of ACCE's hallmark educational programs. For three years, the Fellowship provided hands-on training, peer knowledge exchange, research and examination of working models on a wide-range of sustainability issues, such as infrastructure, land use, environmental stewardship, social inclusion, workforce development, and education. Participants left with a deeper understanding of regional thinking, strategies and opportunities. As part of this unique and exclusive 12-month program, fellows completed a Regional Action Project.
- Regional Action Project Summaries - Contains summaries of past regional action projects by Ford RSD Fellows, sorted by category.
- Lessons from Leaders: Regional Collaboration - Chamber Executive magazine article (Fall 2014)
- Play Nice to Win: Maximizing Competitiveness through Collaboration - Chamber Executive magazine article by Ted Abernathy (Summer 2011)
- One Approach to Forging Strategic Relationships among Community and Economic Development Leadership Organizations - Article by R. Douglas Marsh, Principal & CEO, Organization Dynamics, LLC
- The Rise of Regionalism - Chamber Executive magazine article by Kari Wise (November/December 2004)
Convention & Seminar Resources
- Alliance for Regional Stewardship Track Pack (6 Sessions) from the 2013 ACCE Annual Convention, available for purchase through the ACCE Store, includes tracks on:
- Master Class: OKC Renaissance, A Case Study (Video)
- Education: A New Corporate-Civic Approach
- Regional Partnerships in Action
- Six Steps to Civic Innovation
- Master Class: Driving the Bus - Your Role in Your Region's Education & Workforce Efforts (Video)
- Reinventing Chambers in an Information Age
- Capital Crossroads Vision (Central Iowa) - Free handouts from 2013 ACCE Convention session
- Civic Innovation Shaping Communities for the 21st Century - Free PowerPoint presentation by The Honorable Glenda Hood, Founding Partner, and Shelley Lauten, Founding Partner, TriSect, LLC, at the 2013 ACCE Annual Convention, workshop on "Six Steps to Civic Innovation"
- Attracting Investment & Deals to Regions - Free handout from 2012 ACCE Convention session
- Blue Ribbon Regional Programs - Free PowerPoint presentations from 2012 ACCE Convention sessions
- Growing Inclusively - Free handout from 2012 ACCE Convention session
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
- Regional Leadership Webinar - Free webinar from ACCE (January 2010)
Chamberpedia Home | Economic and Community Development | Regionalism
Last Updated: 06/10/2015
Rate this Page
We want your input! If you have links to add, changes to make, or comments about this page, please email [email protected].